News, changes and troubleshooting for CMSMS 0.11.x

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
westis

News, changes and troubleshooting for CMSMS 0.11.x

Post by westis »

Although a lot of the new stuff with 0.11 are under-the-hood changes, several new features have been introduced.

This topic has been opened to explain what is new, what has changed from previous versions (and how) and to give answers to common troubleshooting issues.

All the info will be in this first post of the topic. It will be added to once new things are discovered that need to be covered here. But you can post suggestions as replies in this topic to what should be here in this first post. If there have been changes in this post you will see the date and time that it has last been modified at the bottom of this post.

New stuff in 0.11
  • FCKEditor now defaultWYSIWYG editor
    FCKEditor has replaced TinyMCE as the default WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor. Here are some of the features you can use:
    • Select to use it in My Prefs -> User Preferences
    • Change settings in the FCKeditor admin interface: Extensions -> FCKeditor
      • Change the css that is used for the FCKeditor textarea in Body tag CSS. From 0.11.1 this is by default set to text-align: left; background: #fff; which means that the text is left-aligned and the background white. Otherwise it would have taken these settings from the body element in the stylesheet for the page that is edited (which for example would have meant grey background and center alignment for the CMSMS site).
    • There are two buttons added to the toolbar that are for CMSMS specifically.
      • Insert/Edit CMSMS Module
        By clicking this button you can add the Smarty tag for any of the modules that are installed and select the parameters it should take.
      • Insert/Edit CMSMS Link
        UPDATED 08/12: By clicking this button you can insert an internal link to another page on your CMSMS site. First select the text that will be the link. Then click the button and a popup dialogue window appears. There you select the page to link to. Check "Generate Tag" to generate a cms_selflink tag. If it stays unchecked an absolute url link will instead be created.
    • If you want to remove buttons from the toolbar you must do that in the file fckconfig.js  (/modules/FCKeditorX/FCKeditor/). Look for FCKConfig.ToolbarSets["Default"]. There comment out the buttons you don't want (better to comment out than delete, as you may want to use them later).
    • There are a couple of issues when using Firefox (FF) 1.0.x, like after previewing a page the content cannot be edited. Upgrading to Firefox 1.5 solves this, however. There are no known problems when using Internet Explorer (IE).
    • If you upgraded from 0.10.x TinyMCE will still be available too.
  • wysiwyg=false option for content blocks
    Content blocks can be used when you want to have content in several places on a page. If you use a WYWIWYG editor you may sometimes not want to use it for a particular content block. There is now a parameter for that. Then type {content block='name' wysiwyg='false'}.

See changes with the head tag below, as that is one reason to use a content block without a wysiwyg editor enabled.
  • EllNav menu
    The EllNav menu module is now included in the core. See the demo pages for more info on how it works.
  • CSSMenu added, phplayers removed
    CSSMenu is another menu module that is now included in the core. However, phplayers is no longer included, but should work fine if you upgrade from 0.10.x. If you previously has used CSSMenu as a separately installed module, or if you have used it with early 0.11 beta versions, see below for a guide on how to change the CSS to work with the new html that the CSSMenu module outputs.
  • Media type for stylesheet added
    You can now select a media type for a stylesheet, in the text field at the bottom of the page when editing a stylesheet. That means you can use different stylesheets for different media, for example when printing or browsing on a handheld. You then attach a stylesheet to the template for each media type. Find a list of available media types here.
  • Changes in Admin Panel
    Another top menu item has been added to the Admin Panel: My Prefs. There My Account has been added, for the user to change his/her own account details, such as password and e-mail address.

Changes from 0.10.x to 0.11.x
  • Different procedure for using Head Tags
    In 0.10 there was a textarea for adding Head Tags (anything that should be added within the tags for a page, like metadata such as keywords) to a page, when editing a page. That has now been removed.

If you upgraded from an earlier version where you had entered something in the Head Tags box for a page, a content block has now been added to your template. The info that you previously had entered in the Head Tags box is now instead in the content block called headtags, that you can see when you edit the page.

If you want to add head tags to a page, add {content block='headtags'} somewhere between the tags in your template. You will then get an additional content block when editing a page, where you can enter the head tags.

If you wish to use the same head tags on all pages that are using the same template, you can add a html blob.
  • No stylesheet box on the template page
    Previously when you edited a template there was a box for the stylesheet below the template box. That box is no longer there. Instead all stylesheets are edited in Layout -> Stylesheets.

Stylesheets are attached to a template using the CSS button in the template list (attaching one or more stylesheets to one template) or stylesheet list (selecting what template should have one particular stylesheet attached).

Remember that you must have the tag {stylesheet} in the tags in your template for the stylesheets to be attached this way.

If before you upgraded to 0.11 had CSS entered in the stylesheet box below the template, that stylesheet box will however still be there.

Find the 0.11 changelog here.

Upgrading from 0.11 to 0.11.1 without overwriting all files
You don't need to overwrite all the files when you upgrade from 0.11 to a stability release, like 0.11.1. Then instead download the diff files and only upload them to replace the previous versions. That is a quicker process and lowers the risk for any mistakes. You will then not need to run upgrade.php, which you however must do if you do a full upgrade from version 0.10.x or earlier.

Upgrading CSSMenu
If you previously has used CSSMenu as a separately installed module (v. 1.1.5 or 1.2.1), or if you have used it with early 0.11 beta versions, then you must change your CSS. This is because the module outputs different (=better) html now.

The very easiest thing is to basically replace the CSS in the stylesheet(s) you are using for your CSSMenu (Layout -> Stylesheets -> Default CSSMenu Horiz and Default CSSMenu Vert) with the CSS in the files CSSMenuHorizontal.css and CSSMenuVertical.css in the /modules/CSSMenu folder. Then customize the stylesheet to look the wy you want (it is an easier CSS now). That way you can be sure that it works both in FF and IE.

But if you have customized your stylesheet and don't know how to get the same look by changing the default CSS that comes with the CSSMenu included with CMSMS 0.11, then do like this:

If you have used CSSMenu 1.2.1, then basically replace all instances of ul.cssmenu-horizontal and ul.cssmenu-vertical with #primary-nav. There is more you can change, but then it is much esier to simply replace your stylesheet from the new files, as described above.

If you have used CSSMenu 1.1.5, then basically replace ul#primary-nav with primary-nav.

Let us know if you experience any problems with this.

ADDED 12-12
FCKEditor bug with image browser
For some reason the following file has got a funny extension in the 0.11.1 package: modules/FCKeditorX/FCKeditor/editor/filemanager/browser/default/frmfolders.html

Remove the numbers at the end of the extension of that file and the image browser will work fine again. This fix is too small for another release, but is easy enough to change. :)
Last edited by westis on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: News, changes and troubleshooting for CMSMS 0.11.x

Post by Ted »

One issue brought up to me on IRC is the fact that you can't put smarty tags into News content anymore.

However, I have a fix for this one that's in svn, but won't show up when you upgrade to 0.11.2 after it's released.

What you need to do is put an eval tag where your content is displayed.  For example, here is the modified default summary template:

Code: Select all

<!-- Start News Display Template -->
{foreach from=$items item=entry}

<div class="NewsSummaryLink">
	{$entry->titlelink}
</div>

<div class="NewsSummaryCategory">
	{$entry->category}
</div>

{if $entry->formatpostdate}
	<div class="NewsSummaryPostdate">
		{$entry->formatpostdate}
	</div>
{/if}

{if $entry->summary}
	<div class="NewsSummarySummary">
		{eval var=$entry->summary}
	</div>

<div class="NewsSummaryMorelink">
		[{$entry->morelink}]
	</div>

{else if $entry->content}

<div class="NewsSummaryContent">
		{eval var=$entry->content}
	</div>
{/if}

{/foreach}
<!-- End News Display Template -->
The new default details template is:

<h3 id="NewsPostDetailTitle">{$entry->title}</h3>

<hr id="NewsPostDetailHorizRule">

{if $entry->category}
	<div id="NewsPostDetailCategory">
		{$entry->category}
	</div>
{/if}

{if $entry->postdate}
	<div id="NewsPostDetailDate">
		Posted: {$entry->postdate|date_format}
	</div>
{/if}

{if $entry->summary}
	<div id="NewsPostDetailSummary">
		<strong>
			{eval var=$entry->summary}
		</strong>
	</div>
{/if}

<div id="NewsPostDetailContent">
	{eval var=$entry->content}
</div>

<div>
	{$entry->printlink}
</div>
--------

Another one that's been brought up is the problem with RSS feeds not working as Firefox Live Bookmarks.  This was fixed last night by Calguy and is in svn.  The fix is this, if you don't want to wait for the next release...

Look for:

#$variables['content-type'] = 'application/rss+xml';
$variables['content-filename'] = 'feed.xml';
And replace with:

if( preg_match( '/Mozilla/', $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"] ) )
{
    $variables['content-type'] = 'text/xml';
}
else
{
    $variables['content-type'] = 'application/rss+xml';
}
//$variables['content-filename'] = 'feed.xml';
pinthenet

Post by pinthenet »

I have a few problems with the CSSMenu - partly because I wasn't expecting such a big change. I discovered today that with 11.1 my vertical CSSMenu wasn't working with IE 6 - I only got the top menu. It worked fine with Firefox though, and unfortunatley I didn't do my normal IE checks after installing 11.1.

I compared the css file in the module directory with my version (from last 11beta) and tried to fix it quickly. It now works in IE (although the arrow.gif somehow gets lost). In firefox it works but I have a cascade conflict - I define an arrow bullet for for the rest of the site but the menu picks this up too....

Perhaps more details about the css would be helpful, although I'm getting the hang of it slowly.

You can see the effects on http://reitstall-jud.ch (you may notice a resemblance to a well-known site, but they do say mimicry is the nicest form of flattery... ;)

John
westis

Fix for FCKEditor bug with image browser

Post by westis »

For some reason the following file has got a funny extension in the 0.11.1 package: modules/FCKeditorX/FCKeditor/editor/filemanager/browser/default/frmfolders.html

Remove the numbers at the end of the extension of that file and the image browser will work fine again. This fix is too small for another release, but is easy enough to change.
arl

Post by arl »

Something is wrong with ContentData() and ContentPreRender() in 0.11.1. ContentData() has stopped working and ContentPreRender() is processing the content twice.

I don't have a thorough understanding of the inner workings of CMS, but I can see that the reason ContentData is not working is because it is called with an uninitialized argument in line 479 in content.functions.php. Should be $tpl_source and not $content. I have no idea why ContentPreRender is called twice though.

What is acutally the difference between ContentData() and ContentPreRender()? As far as I can see they get exactly the same input, even though it was my impression from the docs that they should be different...

Allan
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

These were things that were sort of messed up with the change in how smarty compiles everything.  I'm going to have to go back and evaluate all of those functions and see where they need adjustments.

Return to “Announcements”